Monday, June 28, 2010

Joints, Nerves and Muscles

I was in the gym in Johnson City, TN today and doing my usual Z-health neural warm-up.  This is a program I have become more and more familiar with over the past couple years as I have been taking their courses to increase my knowledge on the body.  Anyways, this man came up to me and asked me what type of program I was doing because he had never seen the type of movements I was making.  So we started chatting a little bit and from our conversation he thought I should write an article about the information I have come upon.  It just so happens I have this blog and thought that wasn't such a bad idea!

Don't want to make this too complicated so I will explain it this way:
Muscles are dumb, they do nothing unless told to.  Joint mobility is everything because if the joints don't move well, the signals from the nerves to the muscles do not get transferred properly.  The key to working out is letting the muscles know they are about to get a workout in and to be ready to receive the information.  The best way I have learned how to do that is working through the nervous system and the best way I learned how to do that is to learn how to move the joints.

Inside the joints, when you move them correctly, a liquid called synovial fluid is released into the joint to lube the area and fill it with good feelings (for lack of a better term).  The receptors you have in the joint area are called mechanoreceptors and they receive this good feeling signal which helps the nerves which helps the muscles.  All this together is allowing your body to be more aware of itself and where it is in space (proprioception).  If you are more aware of yourself and how your body moves in space the better you are able to perform, naturally.  Did you get all that? LOL...  Makes perfect sense once you understand the concept and how the nervous system works.

The question is how does a person begin to learn how to move better so that the cycle can begin?  Well, there is a company called ZHealth who has created courses and DVD's for people to become more familiar with this information.  The great thing about this information is that it has been around since the beginning of time.  The body and the nervous system works in a certain way and there is no way around it.  If you are able to grasp the information and then use it, you can create your own program for you because in the end you should know yourself better then anyone else.

If this blog catches your attention at all and you would like to hear more about it check out Lou McGovern at www.essentialstrength.com or go to the Z Health website at www.zhealth.net

Good Luck and we will talk soon!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Doug... Thanks for sending me a link to your blog and specifically this aspect about joint warm-ups and ZHealth. Having had 6 major knee surgeries over the course of a rather lengthy and aggressive athletic lifespan I perceived the wisdom of what I sensed you were doing with your joints prior to working out at the Center. I look forward to further discussions on this subject and learning more about it via the links you provided. Good luck with your team's season and keeping everyone healthy through what looks to be a long hot summer.

    Your in health,

    ~ rick stamm ~

    ReplyDelete